What with the end of the world and other cheerful things coming up, I decided to call time on the kiln at the bottom of my garden ( actually the fairies had threaten legal action if we didn’t stop). So I filled it up with pottery I had made with the special clay mixed to be fired at cone 5, high earthenware/low stoneware.
I ran out of pots to fill it up so asked my pottery friend Arlene ( New life ceramics ) to make some to fill the vacancies. Eventually the kiln was ready to be fired.
In a month where there had been snow and day after day of rain where a stream ran in my garden, I picked a dry day luckily. After an overnight small flame warm up, it was about 6.30 and 290 centigrade to start, that was a very good start. The early part of a gas/wood firing is very laid back, just turn up the burner.
At about 400 c, I stuck the second burner on, earlier than usual but better for an even firing , I watched as 4 months of rising damp steamed out of the chimney. Without any hassle or undue effort the temperature rose to about 700 c which is where I started with the timber.
As per usual the temperature stuck at about a thousand, but not really a problem as the carbon trapping starts about then, eventually the temperature got going again, the bottom left cones had gone over but I couldn’t see the top left. After an hour I decided to call it quits and firing was over.
Arlene couldn’t get to me until 4 days after clamming up, eventually we got to open it up, Arlene’s pots were very good, these were for her own use not to sell so it was a bit of a relief that they were good.
Now the show is over time to move on to the next performance, overall it had been a so so kiln, if I ever build another, it will be to a different design.