Three years ago I met Tina on a woodfiring course in Devon, when on the course we were talking as you do, a lot. She said that she had been hankering after a woodfiring kiln for a while. Three years and a bit later we helped her with the first firing.

a shed and a few more bricks on the chimney needed.

a shed and a few more bricks on the chimney needed.

2215 2208

I helped with the chimney but Tina and her hubby Graham built the kiln, apart from the chimney it was very well built.

The first pot going in

The first pot going in

Last weekend was the first firing , the packing took all day Friday and some of Saturday morning, along with glazing this is the most tedious of all the jobs but possibly the most important.


We started firing at 2 pm on Saturday , about half the kiln load where raw so it was softly softly up to 600 when clay turns into pot then a steady increase.  I went to bed at midnight and got up at 5.30 but Tina stayed up with Tony, I felt dog tired, I think Tina must have felt a whole pack of dogs tired by then. She did pop of for some sleep but soon was back again to direct. Which is what someone does at the end, this takes judgement and decision, what to do with reduction and the final treatment of the atmosphere, I had been stoking lavender into the fire box but we finished with a lot of my apple tree prunings for a really hot quick blast.

lavender being stoked

lavender being stoked


Abruptly or so it felt it was all over, after a superb breakfast we cleared up a bit and cleared off. Leaving Tina to go to the land of nod.P1060241P1060243



Tony had stayed down and we all met up to crack it open on the following Wednesday, firstly the wicket/door of the kiln was taken away to reveal the results. After lunch, which allowed the wares to cool down even further, we started the great un pack. No wonder it took so long to load there were more than 240 pots in it !

IMG_1101IMG_1104 IMG_1105 IMG_1107 IMG_1108 IMG_1111

There were some breakages and some bloating with my stuff due to the clay, all my pots were thrown with new bags of stoneware bought three weeks before the firing, I don’t seem to have much luck with clay. But there were some beauties and some amazing glaze effects.


All in all a very good firing and all credit must go to Tina and Graham for building a very good kiln based on a design by Joe Finch who kindly advised throughout the whole thing.


What are we going to do now ?   Back in the workshop to make stuff for the next one in March 2015.


About timbartell

I was born in a flat in Lambeth the name of which was, Wedgewood house,China walk estate.I'd forgotten this until recently,it dawned on me the significance of the names after I had become interested in pottery/ceramics.I think of myself as a potter in the most practical sense,making pots for people to use.I have never had any formal training,I took it up when the table tennis class was full.My first flat was in the same road as a pottery centre, Elmwood pottery, the best in London, 18 sessions a week and a real community. I love my craft and bore everyone with it, so am grabbing this chance to bore more people via this blog.There may be the odd interesting item, here's hoping.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.