With a delayed woodfiring I decided to fire the pots that were made for that in the newly altered kiln, with only partial success.
An early morning ( 5.20 am ) start climbed up on the roof to open the chimney and lit the burners, slow flame to drive out what moisture there was in the kiln and ware. There was rather a lot of steam, it looked like smoke and I was expecting a neighbour to ring the fire brigade .
Eventually the steam went and left just fuzzy heat and progress was steady my new thermocouple was doing it’s job and sending a little electric current to the pyrometer. This was a stoneware firing so a little reduction was started a 935 c at 1035 at 1235, I love the way the kiln almost rejects the flame and spits it out.
The front of the kiln was never going to reach temperature whilst the back was going to get overfired the cones at the back were going over.
With this dilemma happening, I decided to stop and make the best of things better underfired than ruined by overfired, live to fight another day with a bird in the bush saving time with no moss.
There were some nice pots with the Thames mud slip working ok at stone ware.
With some modification the kiln will work properly, I will make a change to the way the flame moves through the kiln, as Freddie Waring used to say ‘ oop n oonder’. The upright fire bricks were pushing the flame away from the front of the kiln,they will have to out plus possibly one underneath.
The under fired pots will go with me to Devon later in the year to be fired in the wood and soda kiln.
Eventually the kiln will be sorted, by which time, it will be worn out. Never a dull moment is there, learning a lot on the way