With all the lovely hot weather we’ve had lately, I thought I might warm it up a little more by firing up the kiln.The contents represented the last two months worth of work,there was some raw stuff in there as well, so this had to be a very gentle and gradual firing.I started, after bricking up the front ,which takes ages,at 12.45pm and finished an agonising 16 hours later, the following morning at 6 am. It seemed it was only night for a little while,from the last twitterings of the blackbirds to the first twitterings of the blackbirds.
There was the usual big panic at the end .I can’t seem to solve the problem of the temperature probe burning out, I got a bigger one and protected it with fibre but it still burnt out will have to ponder the problem, a little longer.
I emptied on Saturday afternoon and was pleased with the results, some collapses and cracks but this is usual, in fact I toasted my good fortune with a little beer from one of the tankards. There were many different clays in this firing.All scrounged,nicked out of trenches even a white firing clay from near the M25 slip road in Godstone,Iv’e called it Junction 6 clay.Some from Southwater, a new housing estate,Folkestone and tileworks clays.It’s cheap,once you’ve spent the three months in jail,but a lot of hard work processing it.
I have had a request from the weald and Downland museum for a new colander,I ain’t never made one of those before so it will be a hole new experience for me.