I got up at 5 and climbed onto the kiln shed roof to uncover the chimney, for those of you that are getting up at a civilised hour, it’s pitch black.On the way back down the ladder I fell off the last three rungs and landed in a flowerpot, collecting a boot full of compost which I found out was there only when I took it off in the house and spread all over the carpet. I lit one burner with a gentle flame and retired to review the composted carpet.
Gradually I introduced the other burners to the kiln, they were pleased to meet each other again. Tina and I were introduced too she had an early start from Pulborough. Things were going well until the pyrometer ( temperature reader ) went phut or was it phuttt. On inspection the thermocouple ( heat probe ) lost all the cable insulation,don’t panic,gradually I lifted out from it’s slot in the top of the kiln,plugged the hole and let it cool down, I repaired it and wrapped all the cables in heat proof blanket,hurrah it was back in business. The temperature was rising in the kiln and outside too,the sun had made a rare appearance ,then suddenly it went phut again,grrrrr. Did the repair thing over again same problem, so we( Tina mainly ) had a brainwave ,stick it through the front of the kiln to get the cable away from the heat.This worked, but only showed us how much the temperature was rising, the temperature did increase, slower at the higher temps.
In the end as the cones started to bend we were shoving my store of timber in, thinner stuff meant for the pizza oven. The cones went over one by one and HURRAH firing finished at 5 pm. 12 hours to fire to 1280 not bad.
Back to earthenware temperatures 1100 ,problem will be slowing the rise down but a lot easier.
Now the agonising wait to open it up when Tina comes up next Tuesday.