IMG_0068After the failure of the last firing, I was ready to try again, so with Tina primed and with everything ready, as John Wayne said in ‘The longest day ‘ it’s on.

I got up at 5 and climbed onto the kiln shed roof to uncover the chimney, for those of you that are getting up at a civilised hour, it’s pitch black.On the way back down the ladder I fell off the last three rungs and landed in a flowerpot, collecting a boot full of compost which I found out was there only when I took it off in the house and spread all over the carpet. I lit one burner with a gentle flame and retired to review the composted carpet.


Gradually I introduced the other burners to the kiln, they were pleased to meet each other again. Tina and I were introduced too she had an early start from Pulborough. Things were going well until the pyrometer ( temperature reader ) went phut or was it phuttt. On inspection the thermocouple ( heat probe ) lost all the cable insulation,don’t panic,gradually I lifted out from it’s slot in the top of the kiln,plugged the hole and let it cool down, I repaired it and wrapped all the cables in heat proof blanket,hurrah it was back in business. The temperature was rising in the kiln and outside too,the sun had made a rare appearance ,then suddenly it went phut again,grrrrr. Did the repair thing over again same problem, so we( Tina mainly ) had a brainwave ,stick it through the front of the kiln to get the cable away from the heat.This worked, but only showed us how much the temperature was rising, the temperature did increase, slower at the higher temps.



In the end as the cones started to bend we were shoving my store of timber in, thinner stuff meant for the pizza oven. The cones went over one by one and HURRAH firing finished at 5 pm. 12 hours to fire to 1280 not bad.


Back to earthenware temperatures 1100 ,problem will be slowing the rise down but a lot easier.

Now the agonising wait to open it up when Tina comes up next Tuesday.


About timbartell

I was born in a flat in Lambeth the name of which was, Wedgewood house,China walk estate.I'd forgotten this until recently,it dawned on me the significance of the names after I had become interested in pottery/ceramics.I think of myself as a potter in the most practical sense,making pots for people to use.I have never had any formal training,I took it up when the table tennis class was full.My first flat was in the same road as a pottery centre, Elmwood pottery, the best in London, 18 sessions a week and a real community. I love my craft and bore everyone with it, so am grabbing this chance to bore more people via this blog.There may be the odd interesting item, here's hoping.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.